fbpx

Mobile app testing and test automation

Mobile app testing and test automation

Mobile app testing and test automationOur Test Automation service encompasses offerings ranging from automation strategy up to automation of regression test suites. We have test automation specialists who have experience in identifying the right test cases for automation, in deciding on the timing of automation based on the stage of the SDLC and in selecting the optimal set of frameworks and tools that yield the best ROI. With our broad exposure to Test Automation projects across diverse technologies and industry verticals, we are confident of meeting your time to market goals, while reducing your cost of quality.

Our expertise covers usage of all major commercial test automation tools such as QTP, SilkTest, RFT, ALM Platforms like VSTS, Open source test automation tools and libraries including Selenium and the ability to leverage or create test automation frameworks and harnesses. Our experts possess advanced skills in raising “automatability” of the code base, thus increasing the automation yield. Our passion for test automation has helped us turnaround projects irrespective of their stage and health. In fact, often times we have succeeded in solving complex test automation challenges when others have failed!

It is a fact that 80% of the UI test automation projects are failures and the remaining 20% do not yield the expected ROI, but rather incur losses. While there are several reasons to this, the main reason lies in the attitude of stakeholders towards test automation projects. This is reflected in the lack of importance given to automation projects and the lack of planning conducted for test automation projects. Most people think of test automation as a record and play activity. After spending 8+ years on a variety of test automation projects across diverse domains and technologies, we have developed a test automation methodology that starts with a phase involving considerable planning and strategizing.

Over the last few years, leading third party test automation tools have evolved in their ability to automate UI driven functionality. However, simultaneously software applications and UI rendering technologies have also grown in complexity. Hence, the challenge to ensure test automation through the UI still exists, irrespective of the test automation tool that one chooses. To minimize changes to the automation code, a test automation framework must be robust, modular and extensible.

There are many test automation tools available in the market. These tools and their upgrades come at a considerable cost. Selection of a test automation tool is thus a crucial exercise and involves the following considerations:

  1. Which operating systems, platforms and browser technologies does the tool support?
  2. Which database driver technologies (jdbc, odbc) does the tool support?
  3. How strong is the object repository mechanism?
  4. Can we extend the tool to accommodate new libraries (jar files, dlls etc.)?
  5. How rich is the base script library of the tool?

The other key phases of a test automation project are:

Test Automation Framework design and Coding

Test Case Reorganization/Management

Test Automation Maintenance

Our proprietary “test automation frameworks” can be customized to integrate with any test case management tools (including plain MS Excel). These frameworks also address many known limitations of major commercially available tools.

Our expertise includes following leading third party and open source test automation tools:

Extensive experience on developing Test Automation for Microsoft Technology Products:

  • Rational Functional Tester (Java/.Net IDEs)
  • Rational Robot
  • QTP
  • Segue Silk
  • Selenium
  • AppPerfect Test Studio
  • Test Partner
  • Test Complete

Mobile App Testing and Test AutomationWe also have extensive experience developing test automation on MS platforms and libraries:

  • VSTS 2005, 2008 and 2010
  • Win API Libraries
  • Microsoft Internal Libraries for MS only projects